Emily Bronte incorporates many elements in Wuthering Heights, a rich and complex novel, that can make it a challenging read:
- writing style
- vocabulary
- dark/gothic tone
- contrasting pairs of themes and characters
- use of twos
- two main settings
- two families
- two couples
- two narrators
- doubling of names
Did you find it to be a challenging read; if so, what elements made it most challenging for you? Would you recommend this novel to other students? Why or why not? Sometimes, a better appreciation of a novel is gained by reading it a second or even multiple times. Do you think you would ever consider reading this novel again? Lastly, discuss and substantiate your reasons why this novel should or should not remain in the 10th grade English Honors curriculum.
Respond to this post, and comment on at least two of your classmates' responses before class on Monday, March 2.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI did find it a bit of a challenging read because of the language. Personally, I find it a bit hard to read some books that were written a while ago. I would recommend this book to other students though. Even though it's hard to read sometimes, I think it's an interesting story. I think it's one of those books that's just good to read.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I think I would appreciate more if I read it a second time. I do not think I will read it again in the near future, but I might in a few years! I have a feeling I might like it more the next time I read it.
I feel like this book is good to have in the English Honors curriculum because it has a lot of good themes, setting, and characters to discuss in the classroom. Sometimes in school you read books that you might not pick up to read yourself, this book is one of those. "Wuthering Heights" is not a book I would've read by myself, but I am glad that I read it because it was an interesting story!
I agree that it was difficult to read. I think that it is good that you might read it again but I know that I wont. I also agree that it should be kept in Tenth Grade English honors.
DeleteI also think that I would enjoy it much more if I read it again in the future to get a better understanding of things I didn’t notice before. I wouldn’t have read this book on my own either, but I’m glad I got to read it because I liked the story.
DeleteI might also read the book sometime later in life to gain a better appreciation for it. I didn't think about how it was good for discussing the themes and setting in class, but I agree that it is good to keep in the English Honors curriculum.
DeleteI mentioned much of the same that you did. I feel this book was good and I would also recommend it as I liked the story. I also agree that I think it would benefit from reading it again, but I think I am going to wait a while.
DeleteI also have problems reading older novels, mostly because of the older language, but because we discussed it in class, I had a better understanding of Wuthering Heights.
DeleteI agree that it is a challenging book to read because of the language and that it has an interesting story. I also liked that you described Wuthering Heights as a good discussion book.
DeleteThe Book was slightly challenging to read because of the vocabulary that Emily Bronte uses. I would recommend it to other students because I do think that it was an interesting book even though it was a tough book to read. I think that I would appreciate the book better if I were to read it a second time but I wouldn't read it a second time because I never read books a second time. I think that this book should be kept in tenth grade honors because it uses vocabulary that should be known. Another reason I think it should stay is because it had a good story.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the novel should stay in the curriculum and I like that you mentioned that the vocabulary was important to know. I thought it had a good story to it too.
DeleteI agree with you and Emma that it is an interesting story. I also agree with you about why the book should be kept in the class's curriculum, the vocabulary that is in the book is good to know!
DeleteI never read books twice either. I agree with you that it should stay in the curriculum because of its vocabulary.
DeleteI found the novel to be a bit challenging because I wasn’t used to the writing style or vocabulary she used. I didn’t like how there was so much description for something that could have been told straight out. Even though it was challenging, I would recommend it to other students because it exposes you to more types of writing and I thought the story was entertaining. I might read this novel again to get a gain appreciation of it, but I would wait until I’m older so I have more experiences that might help me understand it better. I think this novel should remain in the 10th grade English Honors curriculum because it challenges the reader, as an English honors class should do.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it was kind of challenging to read because of the way she wrote! The vocabulary was a bit different too, which made it a tad hard to understand.
DeleteI agree that it was a challenge and I didn't like the way she wrote. But it was a good book and it's one of those books where if you read it multiply times you enjoy it more
DeleteI also didn't like how she used so many words to describe something so simple. I also agree it was a challenge to read because of the writing style.
DeleteI agree that it was challenging from the way she wrote. I also agree that she used so many word to describe something that could have easily been explained.
DeleteI wasn't used to the writing style or vocabulary she used either, and i agree with what you said of how there was so much description for something that could have been told straight out. I would wait till I am older to read it again too because I might have more experiences, like you said.
DeleteI agree that the writing style made it difficult to read and the vocabulary too. I think that it is good that it does challenge you and expose you to other types of writing styles.
DeleteI believe that writing style and vocabulary made it difficult as well and agree with you that it should remain in honors. I also agree that there was a lot of description for something so simple.
DeleteI did think it was a challenging read because of the way the characters spoke and the language in general. Emily Bronte did write in a way that used a lot of words that weren't necessary to get to the point. Even though it was a challenge I enjoyed reading it and I would recommend it to other students just because of the fact I found it interesting and I haven't read anything like it and it does have some universal themes in there that people could sort of related to today. I think it should stay in the tenth grade books because it's not a book I would've read if it on my own. But I once I started reading it I started to like it more and more and it is one of those books you could read multiply times and still enjoy and discover new things in the book each time. It sort of opens your eyes to new books like "Wuthering Heights"
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that she used words that weren't necessary to get to the point. I also agree that I would have probably never read this book on my own so I'm glad we have to read books like this in an honors program.
DeleteI haven't read anything like it either! I agree that it has universal themes that people can relate to today. I also agree that you could discover new things in the book each time you read it.
DeleteI thought it was challenging to read because of the use of twos, especially when a majority of the book is narrated by Nelly Dean. It threw me off at the end of the book because I kept thinking it was her perspective instead of Mr. Lockwoods. I would recommend it to other students because I thought it was an amazing book which is why I will probably end up reading it again. It should stay in the 10th grade English honors curriculum because it is a challenge to read and it keeps you thinking. It is also interesting to read so I think the next class should read it.
ReplyDeleteI also got a little confused at some parts of the novel trying to figure out who was narrating at the time, but I eventually figured it out.
DeleteI agree that it should stay in the curriculum. I think that people who want to be in honors or those who are already in it should be able to read this
DeleteIt threw me completely off when Nelly's narration would suddenly switch to having a thought or comment from Mr. Lockwood, as it was almost completely random timing.
DeleteI did not even think about how it was difficult because of the two different narrators but I agree that it was a little challenging to follow at some times.
DeleteI found the book I a little challenging because of some of the vocabulary that Emily Bronte used and the way she placed some of words in the sentences. She also elaborated on some parts of the book that could have been said so easily or even understood better. I would recommend this book to other students because it has a very interesting story line and I did enjoy it. I feel like if I would read it a second time I would maybe pick up on things I missed reading it the first time or even understand it better, but I most likely will not read this book again anytime soon. I usually don't read books like "Wuthering Heights" and probably would have never picked it off a book shelf but appreciated it. I believe this book should be kept in the 10th grade Honors English curriculum because it has good vocab words that you should learn, and it challenges the reader to read a book that they would probably would never read which should happen in an Honors program.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the idea of Emily Bronte elaborating too much on certain parts of the novel. I remember she really went into detail about Catherine being pregnant but she could have just said she was pregnant and that was it.
DeleteI agree with you that she used too many words just to get a simple point across and I totally agree that I wouldn't of read this book on my own, but I appreciated that we did like it because I got to enjoy the book.
DeleteI agree, this book isn't one I'd pick for myself, but I did appreciate it. It kind of gives you some perspective about how important some books are even if they aren't really your forte.
DeleteI found the book easier to read than other novels written in that time era. Some parts of the novel were more difficult to read because of the language it was written in. I would definitely recommend Wuthering Heights to other students. I really enjoyed it and did not mind reading it at all. I would read the novel again. I would want to read it so I could pick up on the things that I didn't before. I think this novel should remain in the curriculum. It broadened my knowledge of how things were in that time frame and what kind of language they used. I also learned to use new words such as obdurate and laconic.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this book is easier to read than other books written in this era. I also want to read it again so I am able to pick up on things that I missed.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI thought that Wuthering Heights was a challenge to read at some parts in the novel. The writing style that the author used was sometimes hard to understand, and there were many vocabulary words that I did not know. Also, the two main settings got a little confusing at some parts of the novel. I would recommend this book to other students because I thought it was an interesting read. I think I would gain a better appreciation of this novel if I read it again because I think that I would understand it better and I would learn new things about the book that I didn't catch onto before. I wouldn't probably read it when I am older because I would have more knowledge of things, and I think I would enjoy it better. I think that this novel should remain in the 10th grade English curriculum because it is a challenge for students and I learned from it, such as new vocabulary.
ReplyDeleteI also thought it should stay in the curriculum. I learned a lot of new vocabulary from this novel too. The two main settings did get mixed up in my head and were a little confusing to understand.
DeleteI also thought this novel needed to be read more than once because it was so challenging.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSince Wuthering Heights was written in the time period it was, I found it a little difficult to read because of the writing style and vocabulary. It is one of the easier books to read from that time period, though. I, personally, would read it again to get a better understanding of all aspects of the book and I would recommend this to another student. I feel like this is one of those books that gets better the more that you read it.
ReplyDeleteI think that Wuthering Heights should remain in the 10th grade English Honors curriculum because it is a good read and it increases/expands student's vocabulary.
I agree with your last comment entirely but I don't see how you could possibly stand to read it again.
DeleteI did not find Wuthering Heights to hard to read. At times it was harder to read. The hardest aspect of this book was the writing style. Emily Bronte would write paragraphs with hard vocab that she could have easily put into one sentence. I will most likely not recommend this novel to other students. In my opinion it would be confusing to read on your own. I am considering reading this novel again. I will not read it right away but maybe in a year. This way I will still remember important ideas, but it will not be all in my mind. Wuthering Heights should stay in the curriculum. This novel had hard vocab to learn. Also, it is a challenging book to read, at points, so it will not just be another easy read.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the hardest aspect of this novel was Emily Bronte's writing style. It would have been much easier if she would have just came right out and said what she was going to say in a sentence or two, rather than a couple paragraphs.
DeleteI like that you were one of the few that said you wouldn't recommend Wuthering Heights to another student, you dare devil. I also agree that she used more words than needed to say a point throughout the story.
DeleteI found the beginning of the book hard to read but once I got used to the dialect and the long winding sentences Emily Bronte was so fond on using I actually enjoyed the book. It feels almost elementary reading anything else now that we're finished with Wuthering Heights. This is not a book I would recommend to someone if I didn't have to but if I had to decide, I would recommend this to another student. I feel like a better reader after reading it and tackling a book of this stature in the future will not be as challenging. This being said, I would not read this book again mostly because I do not like to read book s over again unless I feel it is absolutely necessary.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, this book should stay in the curriculum. Like I said, I benefited in many aspects reading this book and I feel others might as well. It is a good "warm-up" for the semester and outlines what Mrs. Boor expects in discussions and on worksheets.
I also feel that this book raised the bar for language, and that it makes everything seem easier. I also don't reread book unless it's necessary, which is the reason I would not reread this novel.
DeleteThe vocabulary for the book was more difficult for me to understand rather than the plot. Emily Bronte's style was very descriptive and included some difficult words, a whole paragraph-sized section of text could be made up of one sentence.
ReplyDeleteIf someone had similar taste to mine, I would not recommend this book, however I do know of some people who would enjoy Emily Bronte's style and settings.
If I were to read this book, I think I'd have a better grasp of the style of the book and might get more out of it. I do not think I will ever read this book again though, at least not for recreation.
This book should stay in the 10th grade curriculum because it is a difficult read and may prepare some students for books similar to this one and expand their vocabulary.
I agree that if I read it again I think I would get more out of it than I did the first time. I feel like I missed a lot of things when reading it for the first time.
DeleteI agree that the vocabulary in this novel was more difficult for me to understand than the plot. It helped me grasp more vocabulary skills.
DeleteI would read it again as well. I feel that reading it again would provide a better understanding.
DeleteI think that there were definitely some elements of Wuthering Heights that made it a challenging read. It took me a little while to get used to the two narrators. I often felt like there wasn't a smooth transition between the two narrators. Other than that I think the biggest challenge was the language, Emily Bronte took paragraphs to say something that could've been said a lot quicker. I would probably recommend this book to another student, if they liked to read books like this one. I would read this book again for sure. Maybe not anytime soon, but I probably would. It had a good storyline and it'd be interesting to reread and catch things I missed the first time around. This book isn't one that I would pick out for myself, but that is why I think it should remain in the honors curriculum. Lots of book in honors programs aren't ones you'd pick for yourself, but a lot of times they end up being pretty good and or have a lot of good points to talk about in class, which is why I think Wuthering Heights should remain in the 10th grade english honors curriculum.
ReplyDeleteWithering Heights is a bit of a challenging read. The use of vocabulary is very wide. I really benefitted it, because now my vocabulary has expanded. The most challenging thing in this book was the language. Emily Bronte has a very interesting way of writing, and it took some time getting used to it. Her style was she would write paragraphs for something that could he said much quicker in one or two sentences. I would have a much better appreciation for this novel if I read it a second or third time so I could firmly grasp all the ideas, and get a genuine feel for the novel. We moved pretty quickly, which is why I can understand some people had trouble with it. Withering Heights should remain in the 10th grade English Honors curriculum. It's definitly something honors students can handle, and the story itself is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI believe Wuthering Heights was more of a challenging read. For me it was the writing style and following who was narrating at what point. But as I read on I did enjoy this novel. I would recommend this novel if I know someone who is looking for a more challenging read. I would reread the novel again, but maybe not anytime soon. I think this book is at a very good level for what honors students should be reading. It makes you have to read and understand what is happening. It is something an honor student can handle.
ReplyDeleteI think it was a mire challenging read. Some of the vocabulary used I have never seen before. I would recommend it to other students who are excelled at reading because of the theme and the vocabulary the book provides and uses. I would read it again maybe after high school or in college. I think it should stay in the curriculum because honors students should be able to read these minds of books.
ReplyDeleteI've tried to read books like Gone With the Wind and other older novels in the past, but they could never hold my attention. Yet, there's something about Wuthering Heights that's kept my attention from the start, despite Joseph's difficult speech. I'd definitely recommend this book to friends and family, as it keeps you on your toes a lot. I'd love for this novel to stay in the curriculum because if we didn't have to read it in class, most of us probably would have never read it. And that would be a shame because we would definitely be missing out.
ReplyDeleteI can relate with being bored with other older novels, but I can also relate to the fact that Wuthering Heights is written in such a way that it always keeps you guessing.
DeleteAt first, I was really dreading reading this novel. From hearing other students comments about this novel, I already started this novel with a bad tone. I do believe this novel was written in a challenging way but once I figured out what it was trying to say, it was an interesting story line. I think this novel should stay in the curriculum because it is a good challenging book that 10th graders should be able to read. I would recommend this novel to other students but I would not start off by telling them that it was a hard one to read. I would, in fact, recommend that the person takes their time while reading it and maybe take a few notes here and there.
ReplyDeleteI did not think that Wuthering Heights was a challenging novel, mostly due to the fact that we had discussed it so much in class. The book is interesting and the story is captivating, so I would probably recommend it to other students. I don't think that I could ever read this novel again, because it's not the type of book that I would read for leisure. I believe that this is a great book for the English Honors curriculum because it challenges students and opens up a range of topics, such as the elements that effect a child's values, that they wouldn't normally be able to discuss.
ReplyDelete